Places in Iceland for Game of Thrones Fans

One of my many reasons for going to Iceland had to do with Game of Thrones. I  even thought about doing a Game of Thrones tour but of the 4 people in my party, 3 of them hadn’t seen Game of Thrones ever so I decided it wasn’t worth it. The link above is from Guide to Iceland and gives you all the locations and what scenes these locations were used for. Below are all the places we traveled to.

I figured I would find places just by experiencing Iceland. I didn’t want to feel like I was dragging everyone around to find filming locations but instead for me to be surprised when I found a place that felt like I might walk into Jon Snow (okay you guys, listen, I get it – he wasn’t going to be there)!

Thingvellir National Park and Oxararfoss Trailhead

Our very first stop in Iceland had me thinking I would see Wildlings walking around and had me so excited to keep driving around and see other areas of the country. I found myself in awe and saying to everyone I was with: “I feel like a Wildling.” I wasn’t the only one either, as we walked around the trailhead, we heard multiple people saying the same thing (as well as it looking like Lord of The Rings).

The South Coast

The South Coast has a lot to offer for Game of Thrones fans, specifically Glaciers. Unfortunately due to weather and time, we weren’t able to visit any. But you’re going to see little huts like the one above on the way to black sand beaches and waterfalls that will have you stop to feel like you’re part of the set. Other parts of the Southern Coast for Game of Thrones fans is Reynisfjara Beach & Dyrhóaley.

Reynisfjara Beach and Dyrhóaley were my favorite parts of the South Coast and not just because of the Game of Thrones feels that I got there. However, the rock formations and black sand beaches really did put me back into a Game of Thrones feeling.

Snaefellsnes Peninsula

Walking/driving around Snaefellsnes Pennisula will definitely have Game of Thrones fans screaming that they are a Wildling. Also– it had me thinking all about Jon and Yvgritte — maybe this is where they fell in love in real life! If so, I wouldn’t be surprised, especially with the views they had everyday.

You will also have some flashbacks to Brienne and The Hound here. But honestly, parts of this landscape are just so cool, you’ll be telling all your non-Game of Thrones fans all about the show.

13 thoughts on “Places in Iceland for Game of Thrones Fans

1. Nicole Anderson says:

There is just no denying the draw of Iceland whether you are a Game of Thrones fan or not. The natural beauty of this country alone is worth making the effort to go. I love the photos you have included here and it really does make people appreciate how unique nature is there. A country that is definitely growing in popularity as more and more people share photos and experiences of this lovely place.

Liked by 1 person

• The Perfect Honeybee says:

Thank you! Yes, I feel like it’s gotten very popular lately and I wouldn’t be surprised if it is because of Game of Thrones, I was the only one on my trip who had ever seen an episode but it didn’t deny everyone else the awe of the country

• The Perfect Honeybee says:

Right? there has actually been a lot of movies and shows filmed there that I learned about afterwards. Game of Thrones was originally the only one that I knew and I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if its one of the reasons so many people are traveling there now

2. Andrew McKoscielecky says:

Cool places, I didn’t see those places, when I visited Iceland. The pic where you seat looks like Giant Causeway in Northern Ireland. Did you have a chance to visit places from Games of Thrones in Northern Ireland or in Ireland?

Liked by 1 person

3. Sweetannu says:

I am a big fan of the Game of Thrones series. Not missed a single episode. Always wondered where is was picturized. Actually I can relate to sone of the pictures and images with scenes of the movie. Amazing Melissa, you lucky to visit and relive Game of Thrones.

4. Sweetannu says:

I am a big fan of the Game of Thrones series. Not missed a single episode. Always wondered where it was picturized. Actually I can relate to some of the pictures and images with scenes of the movie. Amazing Melissa, you lucky to visit and relive Game of Thrones.

Liked by 1 person